Here’s the first volume of a new series of MixTapes: The Demise Of The Mask.
This one here features “The Future,” which is perhaps my favorite tune by the late great Leonard Cohen (R.I.P.), It’s fascinating to me that his cold vision of a future of murder is one where there is no longer any privacy, definitions, or truths and where all are completely ignorant to even the idea of certain spiritual mechanisms like redemption, repentance, and resurrection: When they said repent, I wonder what they meant…
Of course the song also features one of Cohen’s finest lines and one that serves as a fracture of light in it’s vicious but torpid slab of a landscape: Love’s the only engine of survival.
Oh the mix features as well as some fantastic new stuff by Saul Williams, Devendra Banhart, Iggy Pop, and Radiohead. Oh and it’s also got a lovely number called “Love On The Brain” by Rihanna that my little boy just loves slow spinning to. All this and a whole lot more flow! So press play and enjoy yourself! And as always:
If you dig the mix then please feel free to pass & post it along; if you dig an artist then please support them and go out and pick up some of their stuff.
— – ————-______________ ->
- Lilacs – Lilacs & Champagne
- Down For Some Ignorance – Saul Williams
- The Future – Leonard Cohen
- Back to the Future (Part II) – D’Angelo & The Vanguard
- Stay Cool – The Roots, ft. Q-Tip (J.Period Remix)
- Sky Saw – Brian Eno
- Mother Of Pearl – Roxy Music
- Chocolate Drops – Iggy Pop
- Linda – Devendra Banhart
- Sunset And The Mocking Bird (Queen’s Suite part 1) – Duke Ellington & His Orchestra
- Something In The Water (Does Not Compute) – Prince
- CPU – Big Boi, ft. Phantogram
- Identikit – Radiohead
- The Dolphin (Before) – Bill Evans
- I Can Love Again – Jamie Lidell
- Love On The Brain – Rihanna
- Looks Good With Trouble – Solange
- Décollage – Air
- Libra, the mirror’s minor self / Love’s long listen-in – Broadcast & The Focus Group
- Flunkt Sass Vs The Root Flume – of Montreal
- Walk It Back – R.E.M.
- The Dolphin (After) – Bill Evans
- Crimson Escalation – crush_DLX (Pop Levi & Bunny Holiday)